Montag, 1. September 2008

Epilepsy news and I am 'officially' a Pain on the BBC.

Well, the health news which is no news to some/many including me or my doctors is that epilepsy causes the exact type of memory loss I have described, as covered by this article in the Times.

“It's like an excessive electrical discharge that burns out some of the wiring. Each seizure may knock out one nerve cell in 1,000, which wouldn't be obvious, but if someone over the course of years has hundreds of seizures, there would be a cumulative effect.”.....“In the 20 years I've been in clinical practice, I've yet to come across a patient who hasn't experienced memory difficulties,”

And

‘Even though epilepsy affects one British person in 131, its treatment has always been underfunded. Doctors and patients recognise that the condition carries a stigma, largely because seizures are frightening.”

I know, stunning news to me after I have had workers and other people leave me because “my condition scares them.” Oh well, eventually the population is catching up.

The important news is that 1) Supernatural Season Three is on hold for me tomorrow! Hahaha! Woo hoo! You see: there is just about nothing that a horror movie can show that I haven’t already lived through. Body shaking enough to almost levitate off the bed? Please, that’s a given. How about being paralyzed while your heart starts to fail and there is the pain of lighting striking your chest over and over and over again? Been there, done that! So I like the dialogue and no, I don’t get nightmares from it. I do laugh a lot.

And 2) I am getting interviewed for BBC Radio 4 on Wednesday. At first they were going to do me live on Thursday but then decided that since I have a rather, um, salty use of the English language (“Those fucking doctors don’t have a fuckin clue!”) to do it a day early. So they are going to allow the people at the BBC to include a lot of “bleeps.” I am talking about Pain.

It went like this: one of the researchers for the BBC 4 remembered an article I had written on Pain (I’ve written a few). She emailed. We talked. After an hour she thought I was a “character” and now they have the CBC Radio Studio booked for me. I think I am talking about the utter fucking uselessness of the "And how would you rate that on a 10 point scale" both with the variations in people pain thresholds and with so many people with chronic pain conditions already. I haven’t done this “Remote” interview thing before, but thankfully I did do a Radio interview about my book Zed. So not totally unprepared. I just have to hope that I don’t get my worst nightmare; hearing how I REALLY sound (does ANYONE love the actually sound of their voice? I want to be all elegant and I sound like a chain smoker from a local trailer park – the dying thyroid doesn’t help). I have also consoled myself with the fact that if I totally bomb and make seal barking noises or something similar, there is a pretty good chance I will be dead by next year. So while totally bombing on radio might "haunt me my entire life," that will be short and mostly spent watching TV series.

So that’s the news because I am beat; and I have to go to bed early because….the roofers, much like Santa if Santa used a hammer and blowtorch right above your head, will be arriving bright and early tomorrow.

Ta!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...