Montag, 11. Mai 2009

Squirrel Time: A spring visit to the new mothers

We decided to visit the squirrels, or I did. And Cheryl and Linda came along. I could say it was to visit the new mothers of squirrel litters, with Mother’s Day the next day in North America, or because the sun finally showed itself. But the truth is, I had not been out all week, and all apartment and no world make Beth a little stir crazy!
Actually that face was made while we were waiting for squirrels as there were a lot of loose dogs (terriers) which had driven the squirrels into the trees. If anyone uses that (what I call my ‘Dr. Suess’ face for reasons unknown) as a screensaver, I will do bad things to you. Eventually the squirrels did arrive, but they were either, a) early pups/kits (what is the right word) and so very skittish or b) new mothers. This is a new mother, as you can see by the overgrown haunches and the splayed feet (not yet back to normal size).
The weather was pretty horrific, yes, the sun shined down but there was a light breeze and the flowers were out, I did not overheat, the perfect temp. Here is the start of the squirrel area: I have not cropped or touched the picture in any way, so you can see the kind of rigor in going out in all weather this journalist has.
At first it seemed like everyone else was getting squirrels to come to them. Linda had a black squirrel who while skittish did have the nicest black perky ears.
Cheryl on the other hand, had a couple, a black and a grey which would come to her for peanuts. This ended when finally the black had the peanut and the grey chased it up and down about 4 trees across the lawn and finally even AFTER dropping the peanut, the grey kept chasing the black squirrel. As Cheryl said dryly, “I think it is after something OTHER than peanuts.” Hmmm…

Meanwhile, Cheryl not only had a beauty, what I call an ‘arabian black’ squirrel (the very black ones that look like the stallions), but she had POLITE ONES which ate covering their hands. This squirrel was clearly an offspring of Fiona, Psycho’s elegant and graceful sister. It even takes the peanut, not in the mouth like the rest but in two hands like the Japanese take gifts. I was sitting there meanwhile wondering, ‘When is it MY turn?’

Well, I did get Soot, which I called because the nose had a black ring which indicates that it was on peanut burial detail. Here you can see it even has its mouth open and tongue out (red).I did NOT get the polite squirrels who gracefully take the peanut with both hands before delicately opening it. Soot was not only edgy but also a bit grabby, and would take the peanut or simply bat it out of my hand if it could and get it that way. Kind of like Linda actually, who I had to keep reminded as she cracked another, "The PEANUTS are for the SQUIRRELS!"

Soot also would climb up the leg using, yes, claws, right through the jean material (interesting little marks on the leg found later), this is where you are sort of happy that you have no real feeling down there. As we can see, Soot is like the bear that climbed the mountain…to see what SHE could see, and get a peanut!

I did feed a kit/cub that was so young it kept trying to take a peanut with its mouth. Except, it was young so the mouth was so small it couldn’t grab any peanuts. I had to find a smaller peanut and then give it the small end, and it managed to grab it and then run off with it. Grow quick. Meanwhile, another mama squirrel I will call Rosy (not because she was Rosy but that was her colour and like Rosanne on TV, would knock down people need be for her kids). Rosy seemed to have no fear of the wheelchair at all and simply jumped or climbed all over it, ignoring me entirely (except as the peanut vending machine of course). Here she has grabbed the wheel and is doing odd balancing tricks.

She finally came up to ME (I tend to have issues feeding peanuts to my wheelchair wheel) and I gave her a peanut which she devoured (hey, got a lot of mouths to make that milk for!), after running off.

She soon returned and this time ascended the opposite side of the wheelchair. She had curiosity and was determined to get a peanut, but no fear. Going up the wheel she peeked over my legs like new and rather odd terrain.
She came into my lap, got her peanut and while I paused for a nice picture for the two of us, she was already determining, “How is the fastest way down and how do I take this to my kids?” Priorities.

Still, it was not the WORST of days to go outside and sit with friends. As you can see, with me by this 150-200 year old tree, that I am feeding a black squirrel who eats nearby, then returns for another. We are chilling out together, and not the worst way at all to spend a spring day.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...