Montag, 22. Februar 2010

Three new posts, an Anniversary and learning to fly sitting down

Three years ago I came back from the fencing competition where I collapsed. About today I started using the wheelchair full time. If I make it to May it will be the anniversary of when the people working on me thought I was going to die. I was more active back then, and so, ignoring that all the speed limit signs in my body had been removed, I ripped down hills and switchback corners. So when I finally said, “I don’t feel good” – Instead of fainting, I would just, stop breathing. These days, I still go past my limits, but in different ways. I wrote about it a bit in my post on the postcard project.
Plus the post has a kick-ass typewriter.

Right now, I focus on the short term goals. Getting to tomorrow. And getting to Sakura-con, to do the Times Colonist 10K and get to the start line. To get to the finish line. To get to the day AFTER the TC 10K. Then there is summer. Yeah, Linda is unemployed and applying.

She told me she has written a blog post on Sakura-Con on ‘A Girl’s Gotta Fly’ and she would really like you to read it. It is here. I haven’t read it. She just said that if you are confused the ‘paypal’ button is on the er…..right a part way down. I assume that is my right.

All I know is that I am selling books and DVD’s and stuff. And I am fever free (except for 4 hours) for a week now. Next goal: exercise – I am going back to boxing and badminton.

I won a Kodak film contest division about ‘Life in a Wheelchair’, a division not about work or family but the rest. The prize came in a big box. It is unopened.

The winner was the picture titled, Fly or Fall. I said that for me, every wheelchair user has to work out for themselves how they will see and how they approach life from a wheelchair.

For me, it is always flying. When I fall, I drag myself. Even having to rest every couple pushes going uphill it is flying, because I am out there trying. What is impossible? That which is never tried. Getting up the hill isn’t impossible, it just is damn hard some days. Yeah, there are lots of things that are impossible but if I had to do it all over again...I would have ordered the double thick titanium axles. Why NOT fly. Okay, it takes more risk, more energy, more planning, and has a higher probably of something interesting happening (which might or might not involve hospitalization). So where is the down side?

I am not wheelchair bound: I am learning how to fly sitting down.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...