Montag, 21. März 2011

manga sale (at B&N), a video and some postcard pics

I wanted to let you know about a sale going on at Barnes and Noble. It is for in stock graphic novels and manga, and is 4 titles for the price of 3 of them (price taken off in your cart), including the discount, so if you want Ayako, the New York Times recommended title of a story of a family during and through WWII in Japan by the artist Osamu Tezuka, which is $17.97 instead of $27.95, that in your basket with other items saying ‘4 for 3’ will be free, and anything over $25 is free shipping.

PLUS: they take paypal. If you want more than 4 items, like if you want the hardcovers of the Walking Dead (recommended, as I got them from the library), which are $19 instead of $35, but in 6 volumes, you will need to do two transactions of 4 books each. I hope that makes sense.

The sale ENDS on Tuesday March 22/23 at Midnight, so if you would like to try some manga, or graphic novels, ‘capes and cowls’ or indie artists, this is the best sale I have seen.

I could go total crazy in this Barnes and Noble sale, except I can’t. I have about $30

You can see most of the stuff I would like to get in the Amazon Wishlist, most of the manga is in the sale, but some of the indie artists and a lot of the yaoi is not (sadly).

The books I want to get include: The secret notes of Lady Kanako, a new manga which is plotted like Harriet the spy falls in love (interesting no?) and demon Sacred 3 and 4 as those are the cheapest.

I have read vol 1 of Grand Guignol Orchestra - and have to decide about vol. 2, If you want some interesting manga you might like it, it is a France where Paris is safe and the rest is left to towns where zombies roam, and only the grand orchestra can sanctify a place, but that is under the control of the church - so a 'black mass' orchestra, a bunch of 'not official' go from 17th century town to town and offer services, and this is who we follow.

Linda and I have looked at the preview of Flight, which is family friendly and uses everything from oil painting to ink, in the all colour volumes: Flight Volume 2 and Flight Volume 7 are the highest rated, of these lush 400+ page volumes, but pricy at $17 a volume.

Also, I have been trying more indie artists, I liked Hellboy (recommend!), as many were dedicated to Victoria Writers or myths, as Hellboy visited from Baba Yaga to William Hope Hodgen's fungus people (a great victorian horror series of the Sarriso sea), also visiting the Witch of the Sea who tricks the three sisters of Hans Christian Anderson's tale. His new book: The Amazing Screw On Head and other curious objects by Mike Mignola is one I would like to try.

Return to Wonderland by Raven Gregory where all is not right with Alice, as she is grown with her own daughter, but must go back down the hole to wonderland to sort out the malice in her life. Highest rated. And a rare publisher with lush pictures (slightly sexual).

Incognito by Ed Brubaker - highest recommended, what if you were a villain, a genius villain hiding out in witness protection? How would you see the world and what would you be planning? This sounds a bit depressing, but it is an Eisner winner

So, what would you get?

I tried to do 60 more postcards this week, I did 72 postcards to 13 different countries on four continents last week. Thanks to Linda and Cheryl who take them over and help. I had to stop after several hours of heart problems which would have taken to the ER, except now, we have found after consulting the doctor that helps those who are terminal, that there is no point. So I just couldn't make it - I only have to write them. I'm sorry.

This is a beautiful and ugly world. I just wish for the strength and time for more beauty. "Everybody cries, every body bleeds, no one said life is an easy thing"


Sometimes life is painful, is toxic. Sometimes, I don't how to fix my body, my heart, lungs, organs. And if I don't fix it, then I don't get to see the beter world. So I hold on. Because that is all that is.

And talk about books.

P.S. Linda here... if anyone wants to send books to Beth, the mailing address is:
Elizabeth McClung
PO Box 2560
Port Angeles, WA 98362

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...