Samstag, 1. November 2008

The new joy of my death benefits (Cha-CHING!!)

Dear everyone, I am sorry I am not able to blog today (but what is this you are reading?). I am working to send out postcards and packages for tomorrow. So I give you this instead, my current most prized piece of stationary which is unique (I don’t know any one else who has one). I told you I liked girls with wings. hee hee, is that me?

I had a grand mal in public today which is a first for me, of sorts, maybe (the whole memory thing makes me doubt what I say). But I got out of the wheelchair in time and just hurt my shoulder a bit. Basically, I can spend two hours today doing a kick ass blog, or I can send out 20 postcards in that time. This time I am going all out on the postcards so if you are in this batch, well, lucky you!

I will recount a story from this week, Thursday I think. Linda called to tell me that in an attempt to retain the employees that my blue cross coverage was raised from $100,000 lifetime limit (which I am almost hitting in less than two years!) to $250,000. However, that wasn’t what Linda was happy about. They decided to UP the life insurance policy on spouses by $25,000 or $50,000 from the existing amount WITHOUT a medical. So I qualify and Linda had already signed me up and everything (I guess in case I died between the meeting and her telling me.) I was, “That’s great! That’s super! Wow, okay, you are going to be able to pay off the debts and be okay, once I die.” Pause. “I just need to die…….”

I said to Linda, “Actually, I’m feeling somewhat conflicted here.”

She said that she could continue to pay the minimal premium of like $20 and get $50-75,000 when I die. And I was saying, “Well, you know, I mean, with all the vascular degeneration, even if they find a holding curing, I mean, they tell old people, ‘what can you expect after so much use’, so I am pretty sure I have shortened my life span.”

She is like, “Yeah, I think so too!”

Me: “So, even IF somehow they cured me, assuming they would treat me, then I doubt I could last another 6-10 years. So that’s pretty good. Like a down payment on a condo,…..” Pause, “No, I’m still having some conflict, look I KNOW that I have done at least 10 to 20 years of road work on my body in the last 15 months but, um, being happy about that. Um, great, I kind of need to go and hug a teddy bear right now. But good news….Sorta, as soon as I die…..”

See, I am trying to be a supportive spouse, it is just sometimes the “good news” is not always goods news. Particularly when she said they were redefining what “limb loss meant” as in you didn’t actually have to have it chopped off but could just lose use of it permanently. And us going, “Sweet, Cha-CHING! In a year or so with my body, we are going to CASH IN!” Seemed a little morbid funny but also not funny. Oh well. Back to work, more postcards. More packages!

Thanks for hanging in – big thoughtful post from me tomorrow! And replies to comments!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...